Sunday 4 November 2012

Evaluation of My Progress So Far

What have I learnt in this first half term?

One of the first new things i've learnt since starting as an A Level media student is how the use of different camera shots, angles, pace of editing, sounds and music all play a huge part in the setting of a scene and develop ideas and characters in a piece of media text. For example, I have learnt to notice that how a high angle camera shot looking down on a character are often used in film and tv to portray different levels of power that characters poses.
I have also learnt about mise-en-scene. Mise-en-scene is everything that  you see in the frame including costume, props and lighting. I've learnt that this can be used to effect and give depth the text. 
Very importantly i have also started to understand more about what genre really is, especially the codes and conventions of 'Thriller' films as we are going to be making our own intro to a thriller film. 
In this term I have also been learning about title sequences, and how the use of different graphics and pacing of a title sequence can make or break the beggining of a film. 
Sound has been a big part of my research so far. I have learnt about the two different types of audio that are used in media texts; Diegetic (Sound that is in the scene eg; footsteps, crashing waves etc)  and Non-Diegetic (Sound that is not part of the scene eg; music).
A big part of this half term has been spent by myself working in a group so it has been necessary that I work on how to share responsibilities within a group and ensure I manage my own time and work to make sure I'm organised in order to meet deadlines while also motivating my group to do the same. 

Where and How have I learnt all of these new things to me?
I've pretty much learnt everything when working in media lessons and also a lot of it has come from the independent research I have done as part of my groups work using the ocr media studies book I own and researching on the internet. What would then usually happen then is that in class we put our learning into practise by watching a past exam clip, making notes, discussing what we have seen as a class and then (a couple of times) write an exam styled essay. For example, recently we looked at how editing and mise-en-scene was used in the introduction of the 'Titanic'. As well as this work, I have gained an overall understanding of the majority of the topics that we have looked at and discussed about in lessons, this then adding to my knowledge which i would then post on my blog as part of my research. 

My Strengths;

I feel that as I did the Creative and Media Diploma for gcse, that I knew about a few of the topics that we have worked on so far, such as mise-en-scene, foley sound editing and whatnot. I believe that this gives me the strength to take on new information about these topics quickly and efficiently as I don't feel as if i'm being bombarded with new information. I also think that this helps me work well as part of my team as i am able to explain and give advice on things that they may not know as i've already spent a few years doing it. I also feel that I have a good understanding of the editing process as it is something that I very much enjoy doing and have spent a lot of my time doing recently so I feel as if this gives me an edge when learning new things relating to that topic.

My Weaknesses;

I think one of my weaknesses is that I don't feel comfortable blogging as it is something very new too me. I feel as if the content I am posting is good but i'm not posting regularly enough. Another weaknesses is that I have not fully understood the mark scheme, this is something that I can quickly rectify though so I am not to worried about this as I will be reading through that multiple times in the planning process. I also struggle with understanding some of the semiotics we learnt at the beginning of the term as there were lots of different phrases that I need to learn, I have got most of them down but there are a few I need to go back and have a look at again.

Targets
1. To go back and study the mark scheme again to give myself a better understanding of what is required from myself and my group for our exam and coursework film.
2. To show enhance and show a range of skills on my blog, adding audio and video to some of my posts could help this.
3. To continue to go back and read my notes on semiotics and to learn and understand all of the necessary terms.

No comments:

Post a Comment